- 91 guestrooms, most of which are Japanese style
- An authentic wooden stage designed for Noh theater performance
Dogo Onsen [Ehime]
Dogo Onsen appears in Japan's oldest history record called "Nihon Shoki". Yamatoya Honten is a time-honored ryokan founded in 1868, located right next to the Dogo Onsen Honkan bathhouse - the iconic symbol of this spa town. Even after its renewal in 1996 into a modern building offering present-day comfort, Yamatoya Honten preserve its traditions in its design, atmosphere and services.
All the Japanese-style rooms are truly Japanese - drawing inspiration from tea ceremony and traditional aesthetics. The refined simplicity, without ornate decorations, encapsulates exquisite craftsmanship. The walls are finished with Juraku clay, using fine soil collected solely from Nishijin area in Kyoto. Indulge in shared hot spring baths including open-air bath and spacious indoor bath.
30 min. from Matsuyama Airport by car15 min. from JR Matsuyama Station by car
|Environment||Located in the center of Dogo Onsend spa town|
|Private Bath||Private bath equipped in each room|
- Dinner and breakfast are served in dining room.
- Abundant ingredients from Setouchi area will be carefully selected and cooked into a delicate cuisine.
- Breakfast will be buffet style from April 2023
- You can enjoy the magnificent large bathing rooms with indoor and outdoor baths using natural hot spring
- Private bath is attached to each room.
- Check in from 15:00
- Check out by 10:00
Room type and prices
91 guestrooms at Yamatoya Honten
- Japanese-style Suite with double bed (78 sqm) and a Japanese cypress bathtub
- Japanese-style Suite (78 sqm): a 13-tatami mat room plus a 7 tatami-mat anteroom, a Japanese cypress bathtub.
- Japanese-style Junior Suite (62 sqm): a 10-tatami mat room plus a 6-tatami mat anteroom
- Standard Japanese-style Rooms (45 sqm): a 10-tatami mat room
- Western-style Deluxe Twin (40 sqm or 45 sqm): a Western-style room with a double bed.
- There are smaller western-style Single Rooms (15 sqm), too.
Price differs depending on the room and seasons. Please check when you book. The rates are for per person, per night including dinner and breakfast.
From TokyoTokyo - [1.5 hours by air] - Matsuyama Airport - [30 min. by car] - Yamatoya Honten
From Shimanami (cycling)About 1-hour by car from Imabari, southern end of Shimanami cycling
Nearby Sightseeing Spots
After enjoying its healing waters, take a stroll around or riding on a rickshaw in town in yukata robe.
Matsuyama Castle (10 min by tram, bus or car)
Shimanami Kaido (1 hour by car or train)
People's purposes of making a pilgrimage are varied. Some come for religious reasons, some to get away from regular life, and some to reflect and find themselves. Walking on the pilgrimage route with steep mountain roads and stone steps in pastoral countryside or along calm coastal area will be a spiritual journey.
Though it takes 40-50 days to complete walking throughout, Michi Travel Japan is happy to help you hike some of the pilgrimage route that allows you to connect with local community and tradition. If you would like to experience Shikoku Pilgrimage as a day trip from Matsuyama or Dogo Onsen, we suggest the following private tour
Shikoku Pilgrimage 1day Experience Private Tour in Ehime