"Kenbu" is a traditional Japanese performing art that utilizes traditional Japanese sword and Japanese folding fan while expressing the poems that were mostly written by Samurai. In feudal times, Samurais performed Kenbu to give themselves courage or to achieve mental concentration.
With this program, you will learn the basic concept of Kenbu, and master several pieces of performance. This experience will be a great opportunity to learn the Samurai culture.
Private Online Workshop Program
The online workshop focuses on Kenbu utilizing a Japanese folding fan. Samurai always carried a long sword, a short sword and a folding fan for Samurai's ritual. In Kenbu performance, a performer uses a sword, and a folding fan made for performing arts to play a dance. A folding fan is an important item for Kenbu and used for expressing a wide range of things including swords, plants, rain, waves, armor, etc.
During the workshop, the master will introduce a concept of Samurai Kenbu and teach you several basic forms of Kenbu using a folding fan. After that, you will perform a dance along with a poem.
This is a private activity and the workshop will be held exclusively for you or your family, so we hope you can enjoy the workshop as if you traveled to Japan with your family. Please also enjoy conversation with the instructor and feel free to ask questions during the interactive lesson.
Special Package for the Workshop
To make your online workshop more enjoyable, meaningful and as close to a real experience as possible, we are pleased to send you the items used for the workshop to your home.The package includes following items:
- Japanese folding fan for the number of guests
We are pleased to send a Japanese folding fan made in Kyoto, called "Kyo-Sensu", which has been valued as high-quality art works made of carefully selected bamboo and paper or silk.
- A book "Kenbu a Performing Art Shaped by Samurai Aesthetics"
This book introduces the origin and history of Kenbu and Samurai. You will also be able to learn the mentality of Samurai in Japan. The book is written by a professional master of Seiga-ryu Kenbu school.
- A digital booklet for about 4-5 pages created by Michi Travel Japan (sent by an email)
The booklet includes the information regarding the online workshop and introduces related destinations you have probably never been to for your next trip.
Option: If there are small children in your family, we are pleased to purchase and send Jinbei*, a traditional Japanese two-piece summer clothing, for your children to experience Japanese clothing and feel summer.
*The maximum size of Jinbei for children is 140cm.
What to prepare on your side:
- 1 large screen to watch the workshop and space
- Please download Zoom for free on a desktop or a mobile device. After you book, we will send you a URL for video call.
Instructor of the Workshop
1-time online workshop:
Example price for 1 Zoom account for a family with 4 guests: about 63,000 yen
Including: a private online workshop, 4 Japanese folding fans, a book of Samurai Kenbu, a digital booklet, Michi Travel's service charge and tax.
Not Including: What to prepare on your side indicated above, the delivery fee to your home, and the custom duties
- Please contact us for details.
- The price changes depending on the number of Zoom account and items we will send.
- You might be asked to make the payment for duties and taxes when you receive the package.
- If you are interested in taking the online workshop of Samurai Kenbu for several times, we are pleased to offer a course.
Notes for Online Workshop Program
- This online workshop is a private workshop conducted by a video call, designed for 1 Zoom account and a suitable number of participants is up to about 5 guests. If you would like to join the workshop with another Zoom account of your friends or families who live in a different place, please contact us.
- Duration: about 1 hour
- Example of time difference between your country and Japan:
|West coast of the U.S.||East coast of the U.S.||France||Singapore|
- We are pleased to discuss the time and date of online workshop according to your request; however, we hope you understand that the time for online workshop would be limited due to the time difference between your country and Japan.
- The date of online workshop will be about 2 weeks after the official booking since we purchase the items and send them to you.
- Neither Michi Travel Japan nor the instructor is responsible for any injuries caused during the online workshop.
Please contact us through the inquiry form and let us know the following information:
- Your full name
- The program that you are interested
- The number of guests and age range
- Country and area where you live
- Select a program you are interested
Please contact us through the inquiry form and mention the program that you are interested.
- Discuss details
One of our staffs will send you an email to discuss the details of package and program.
Once details are confirmed, we will send you an URL for online payment. Payment is requested to be made by credit card. For online credit card payment, the page is protected by Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology to ensure the safety of your credit card information. We accept payment by Visa, Master Card, American Express, Diners, JCB.
- Package will be sent
We will send a package with specialties to your home.
- Experience the online workshop
We will send you an URL of the video call and hold a private online workshop.
|Date of cancellation request received by us||Cancellation Charges|
|31 or more days prior to the date of online workshop||10% of the total cost|
|30-8 days prior to the date of online workshop||20% of the total cost|
|7-4 days prior to the date of online workshop||50% of the total cost|
3-0 days prior to the date of online workshop
|100% of the total cost|
- In case of cancellation after the payment is completed by the customer, the amount deducting cancellation charges and the cost for the special package and delivery fee from the amount already paid will be remitted to the bank account specified by the customer.
- Date of cancellation refers to the Date and time when cancellation notice is received by us based on Japan time, instead of the local Date and time when cancellation notice is sent from the customer.