First, visit Okunoin, the heart of Mt. Koya. Kobo Daishi (Kukai), the founder of Shingon Buddhism and one of the most revered persons in the religious history of Japan, rests here. Also, many prominent personalities' graves line by the approach to Okunoin for several hundred meters through the forest. Your guide will explain interesting stories about those historical characters.
Mount Koya is a Japan's representative holy town which offers travelers an unparalleled atmosphere of Japan's spiritual and cultural depth as well as natural beauty. Sacred sites and pilgrimage routes in the Kii mountain range is registered as UNESCO World Heritage site. Escape from bustling city streets, and discover a wonder of the ancient world.
Sample Itinerary (10 hour tour)
Meet your guide at your hotel in Osaka* and move to Mt. Koya by trains and cable car.
Within Mt. Koya, you will move around by taxi and bus.
For your lunch, the guide will recommend one of the local restaurants depending on your appetite. Shojin cuisine, vegetarian dishes for monks is recommended in Mt. Koya.
Then,move to Kongo Buji Temple, the main headquarters for the Shingon Sect, which has 4,000 temples throughout Japan and more than 10 million followers worldwide. Visitors can see religious artifact, fusuma sliding door paintings, as well as a beautiful rock garden representing two dragons flying amongst the clouds.
Visit Danjo Garan, one of the two most sacred sites in Mt. Koya. In the 9th century, Mt. Koya was founded on this very ground. At that time, Kobo Daishi held a groundbreaking ceremony and then dedicated his life to the construction of Danjo Garan. This sacred area consists of nearly twenty different structures including the magnificent Konpon Daito. Your guide will tell you the meaning of these structures.
The guide will escort you back to your hotel in Osaka.
- Since your tour will be conducted on a private basis, the plan can be tailor-made to your needs.
- If you prefer to stay overnight in Mt. Koya, we are pleased to book a suggested Shukubo, a temple
lodging, in Mt. Koya. (Accommodation fee is not included in the tour price below. For details, please contact us directly.)
Price for this sample itinerary
(price per group)
|2 persons||3 persons||4 persons|
|10 hours||97,000 yen||103,000 yen||110,000 yen|
(8% consumption tax included)
Including: English speaking tour guide, entrance fees, trains between hotel and Gokuraku-bashi,cable car between Gokuraku-bashi and Mt. Koya, taxi and bus within Mt. Koya Area
Not Including: Lunch fee, Fare or entrance fees for additional sites.
- The price is for the above sample itinerary.
- We will customize your own tour depending on your interests and time.
- The contents of the tour may change due to weather conditions.
- This itinerary assumes starting and ending in Osaka. If you would like to start or end in other cities, please contact us for the price.
- Private car for the whole tour can be arranged with extra fee.
- Please contact us for prices for more than 5 persons.
Request for a Private Tour
To request for a private tour, contact us by E-mail (email@example.com). Please tell us the following information:
- Your name
- Number of persons in the group
- Date of the tour
- Starting time and length of tour
- Meeting place
- Places you would like to visit (or write "recommended travel" if you would like us to plan your day)
- Lunch requests
- Dietary restrictions, if any
Private Tours in other destinations
We can also arrange privately-guided tours in other destinations throughout Japan. Also, your tours can be tailored to your specific interests such as culture, food, and nature.